And Promo is the Name of the Game

We're at T-2 days until the start of summer vacation. Ah yes, summer vacation....that time of year when I can have bathroom breaks when I want them, take more than 10 minutes to eat lunch and I can drink a pot of coffee after 3pm. Glorious days. Anyway, back to the point. This summer, I decided that in order to make a little money, I'll have to spend a little money. I heard something at the RWA (Romance Writers of America) Chicagoland Spring Fling this year, "you have to give away a bunch of books before you sell a bunch of books." Huh? That refrain, have free stories, novellas even novels up on Amazon was repeated over and over again. Of course, I thought, these are those people who can crank out two hundred pages in two weeks. That's not me. I am a slow writer. A book and a novella a year, maybe with another story tossed in, is as quick as I can write. Can I?

Well, this got me thinking. So, during May I set aside the full-length novel I was working on (another in my time travel/historical series--more on that later) and plotted out 4 stories that were going to be Amazon freebies. Or for $.99. I haven't completely decided yet, but I'm leaning toward free even if it goes against my little Italian/Bohemian heart. I finished one this week and it's currently with an editor. It will be going out to beta readers (something else I learned about at this conference) as soon as the editor is done and should be up for order by June 15th at the latest. I'm actually shooting for a June 11th date, but that's to upload and I'm told it could take a little time to do that. I'm also not all that confident in my formatting skills on kindle at the moment.

In addition to the freebies I am in promo after promo this coming month! One June 1st, the Sizzling Summer Reads Party kicks off at TRR https://www.theromancereviews.com/event.php. Check right here for that link. I'm trying to get the banner up on my website, but I might need some technical help with that. Hmm.... I'm also part of a FB multi-author event on June 15th and next week I'm participating in a Book Birthday Bash with another Rebecca in Perth, Australia. It might require me to get up at 5am to play along and the math involved in the time zones is making my head hurt, but I'm game.

Will any or all of this work? Not a clue! All I know is that they can't fault me for trying. I'm targeting my Ascended series, which I am now officially calling my Ascended Series, instead of the Fallen Series and I promise I will change that on the website as soon as I can get into it. (I need to do some things from home). I'm hoping in August, when I'll be able to see my Kindle sales and page reads from June, that I'll see some more sales. Maybe I'll be able to buy fries with my burger next time!! Livin' the dream and promo on!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adventure in Self-Publishing

Girls with Spunk