Struggling to Remember

I'm finally off for the summer. This was one of the longest years I've had so far in my 18 year career in the classroom. We had a lot of changes to deal with and some stress within the team so it made the year just drag. However, the school year is done and I settled down this morning to continue on FIRST OF THE FALLEN, the prequel to Ascent of the Fallen. I sat down and stared. And stared. And stared...

Wow, am I out of practice! Writing is one of those things you need to keep up with. If you wait a little too long it's just so hard to get back into it. I have all my notes. I know pretty much where I'm supposed to go, but I'm not a really detailed outline type of person. I have notes that say things like "Asmoday shows up to yank Semiazas' chain." That's it. Nothing else. Apparently I had a plan and an idea, but didn't bother to write it down in much detail.

So, I didn't really write anything today, but I reread everything. I got to know the characters again. I reminded myself what I was doing and where I was going with this. That's half the battle. Not bad for an idea that was supposed to be a short story and a novella. I also just realized that I'd thrown in a plot twist right at the end of my last writing session and I had no idea where I was going with that. That took some thought. I think I have it though.

My goal, and yes, I'm throwing out there for everyone to see, is to be done with this story in its entirety by the end of July. That includes the rereads and the editing. I have about another hundred pages to go in this story (unless I decide to take another detour). So, that should be doable. My August I want to spend sketching out the rest of Redemption of the Fallen--the next book after Ascent of the Fallen, the story that kind of wraps around the events in Shades of the Fallen. There we are. I have a goal and a plan.

Wish me luck!

Comments

  1. Good luck Becky, may you be inspired. Believe in yourself!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Adventure in Self-Publishing

And Promo is the Name of the Game

Girls with Spunk