Time Warps

Warp speed ahead! Alright, I know Star Wars is what's all the rage right now, not Star Trek, but I couldn't think of an appropriate Star Wars term. Maybe something along the lines of, "Someone turn off the hyperdrive!" We seem to be going Ludicrous Speed! Got a little bit of Spaceballs in there to round everything out. No, seriously, when did time fly so quickly? I remember when I was my daughter's age time seemed to slow down around Christmas time. I remember my brother and I having days to inspect, weigh and practically sniff the presents under the tree. Tony always had the dilemma on whether or not to open the largest present first or heighten the anticipation by leaving it last. Me? I was always looking for the books. My 8 year old has been dancing, literally dancing, around the house this week singing about how long Christmas is taking to get here.

I actually thought that when I had the week before Christmas off I'd be able to savor the anticipation a little bit more. I've been enjoying the not so small one's agony a little too much, but I still can't believe that it's already Christmas Eve. I feel like I turned around twice and BAM! Here we are.

Why can't other times go by so quickly? You know, like that long slow drag of February. For the shortest month of the year it's the longest month in a school calendar. Or May. May should be a nice, quick month with graduation at the end of it. Nope. There's always more month at the end of the unit and presentations never take as long as you'd like them to when you have the time. They drag out when you have exactly two days scheduled for them.

The older I've gotten the faster time has flown. I remember when summer vacation was long and slow and felt about as many days as Phineas and Ferb's show. Now, the weeks and days fly by and I don't fit in half of what I thought I would. I am very well aware that the majority of the "obligations" I have in my life are optional. We all fill our days with stuff that when you look right at it you don't have to do. No one will die if you don't and you won't lose your job. However, some of those are pleasures. I'm looking forward to reconnecting with friends this break, going to the Trans Siberian Orchestra Concert and taking my nieces to their first wine tasting ever. However, I also want to grab the hands of the clock and make them slow down a little bit. I want a few mornings of cold sunshine, hot coffee and a good book.

I also want the time to be able to write, "The End" in my latest book. As to that...I'd better get back to it. Time's flying!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adventure in Self-Publishing

And Promo is the Name of the Game

Girls with Spunk