Well, I Thought It Was A Good Idea

You know what they say about the road to hell, right? Well, my daughter's new school, just like the old one, has an auction as their big fundraiser. Every family is required to either donate something to the auction or they're "asked" to purchase a certain amount of raffle tickets. Well, I thought I had a great idea for a unique raffle item. I'm working on a summer solstice novella. Though, if the beginning is any indication it won't be short enough to fit into the anthology and I'll look to publish it on its own. Anyway, that's not the point. I figured since I was working on it now, I would auction off the opportunity to create a character. I created a character sheet, gave a copy of book one, so they could see what they were getting into. I figured there are going to be hundreds of people at this thing. Someone will think this is a good idea and think it's kind of neat to be able to create a character.

Well, my grand notion got exactly two bids. And one of them was from my father in law, who I'm pretty sure was throwing me bone. So much for my grand idea. Next year I'll just donate a bottle of wine and a Target gift card. I'll get more bids that way.

Just disappointing. That's all. You'd think I'd be well used to print based disappointment. I can't tell you how many craft shows I've gone to and say smiling faintly while people pass by trying not to meet my eye. Or the time I brought a bunch of books to my union thing--1500 women you'd think Rue's cover would catch someone's eye! Nope. Hauled every single copy back out again. So many people shake their heads at me and say, "Oh, I don't have time to read." No time to read? They might as well tell me they don't have time to eat! I was in panic mode yesterday when my kindle froze. I can't sleep without reading at least a page or two.

Ah well. That idea was a bust. I'll try something else. Gotta keep trying. Someday, something will click. Until then I'll be up here on my cliff shouting out into the void.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adventure in Self-Publishing

And Promo is the Name of the Game

Girls with Spunk