Adventure in Self-Publishing

So, I'm attempting something this summer that I've never before thought I'd attempt. I'm going to try to publish a couple of smaller pieces myself instead of going through my publisher. Now, that doesn't mean that I have anything against my publisher. I don't. I love my editor and I've had nothing but a positive experience with them. However, I've been hearing over and over at the various conventions I've gone to this year that indie, what used to be called self, publishing is the way to go to really earn money.

Here's a fact of life in publishing, no matter the means....you need to spend money to make money. That doesn't mean that you pay a vanity press to publish your manuscript. No, a publisher should always pay you and not the other way around. What I mean is that the publisher or the author, depending on who is putting out the book, is going to need to pony up some cash for marketing. Now, unless you're Stephen King or your publishing company is enormous they're not going to do much by way of marketing that isn't free. They need to make money too. If you publish through a company you're stuck with what they can do for you or for what you, the author, wants to pay for. Now, I've done boosted FB posts, I did an Amazon giveaway (messed that up), and I've done a few other things. If you're the sole proprietor of your work, you can adjust prices yourself and use the Amazon Marketing Services, which is apparently the holy grail of making money at this.

So, I'm willing to try it. I'm currently finishing up a novella in the same world as Ribbons of Moonlight--the Commander gets his comeuppance a the hands of Connor's cousins in the highlands, a clever and pretty trio of highland lassies who are not going to benignly accept his presence. It's been kind of fun diving into their stories. My plan is to put that story out either free or permafree and use it as a reader hook. I also have some Star Circle story plans and one for my angel series which I'm thinking of rebranding.

So much to think about. My head is kind of spinning. I'm not going to neglect my main novels. I promise. I'm finally getting to Redemption of the Fallen this summer and outlining Guardian of the Fallen, the next one in line. There are still four novels in the angel series that are going to be written. My goal is a July 1 release for Torrents of Darkness, quickly followed (within the month, I hope!!!) of the next time travel romance A Strange Wind. So, there it is. It's an aggressive schedule and here's hoping that life doesn't explode all over me as it has a tendency to do.

Please, sign up for my brand spanking new email! You should (if I got the automation set up correctly) get a sneak peak of Redemption of the Fallen for your trouble. You'll also be eligible for special giveaways and chances to get books in your hand first. All you have to do is visit my website and sign up on the little pop up box that appears!

https://rebeccalfrencl.weebly.com/

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

And Promo is the Name of the Game

Girls with Spunk