Books You Love and Hate

That was the journal topic last week. I asked my students to talk about books they loved and why they loved them. I also asked them to talk about books they hated and why they hated them. I also asked them to talk about how they would change those books they didn't like in order to make them better. It's always fun to see how the kids would change books. I'm also a little shocked when I have students come up to me and tell me that they don't like any books. Or they've never actually finished a book. I die a little inside when I hear eighth graders tell me that.

I'm also always a little appalled when kids tell me they hate books I've loved. Some of them hated the Harry Potter books. Others thought The Hunger Games was boring. (How that's possible is beyond me!) I had to expand the journal assignment a little bit to movies when too many of the kids told me that they really didn't like too many books. I suppose I have my work cut out for me this year. I always tell them that if they like certain genres of movies, they can find the same sort of thing in books as well.

So, that brings me to today's question. What books have you loved? Which books have you hated? I never really like the Shanarra series by Terry Brooks. I tried to read it after I read his Magic Kingdom for Sale: Sold series. I liked that series. Couldn't even get past the first scene in the Shanarra series. That drawn out description of Flick walking down a road about did me in. Of course, my husband enjoyed the series. I also loved the David Eddings Belgariad and Mallorean series. However, his Elenium and Elder Gods books--not my cup of tea. I'm a character girl and Sparhawk just never spoke to me. I know kids and others who love a particular author and will read anything he or she puts out. I think some of my students would read cereal boxes if that's what Rick Riordan decided to write.

So, who do you love? What books just didn't speak to you? Let me know. I'm always looking for something new to read!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adventure in Self-Publishing

And Promo is the Name of the Game

Girls with Spunk