Pulling the Elephant

Book one was difficult to write, but I knew where I was going and it flowed once I got on a roll. Book 2--I breezed right through. It was a bridge, carefully built of words, that lead from book one to book 3. In book 3, I know what has to happen. I know what I need to add and what I need to remove to get there, but the characters are just not cooperating. A month ago they had me in a headlock and wouldn't let go. My fingers couldn't move fast enough on the keys to get their adventures down, to capture their every look and feeling. This month, they're phoning it in and just digging in their heels. It feels like trying to pull and elephant down the block.

Maybe they all need a vacation. A little sun and sand before they stand up and face down the Darkness, their own own personal ghosts and a potential traitor at the joining of the Star Circle. That's a strange image, isn't it? Aerin with her toes in the sand, a drink in her hand and a rather confused and guilty look on her face. She's a straight arrow. Wouldn't want to take the time off and would much rather prod her fellows along at sword point if necessary to get them going in the right direction. I could see James and Robyn getting into the swing of a beach vacation. Demar could be cajoled, but he'd pretend to be a little above it all. Mages! I can already see Jeric, Katt and Sylvie building sand castles at the water's edge. And Seraf? See that little patch of shade thrown by the unbrella? She was there a  minute ago . . .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adventure in Self-Publishing

And Promo is the Name of the Game

Girls with Spunk