Scattered Focus

My attention has been a little scattered lately. I intended over this Christmas break to bang out about 5000-10,000 words. That was the goal. There's only one day left to my break, I go back on Thursday--I know, but talk to the school board--and I've written only about 2,000 words. It's been an odd break. First of all, it's been weirdly warm around here. Yesterday was the first day we've had that dipped into the 20's. Very strange for the Chicagoland area late December, early January. Usually, we're in the 20's by the middle of December and by this time in January, 30 feels downright balmy. I think we're all waiting for the other weatherwise shoe to drop around here. We got pounded with over 20 inches of snow last Groundhog Day and I think we're all wondering when the real weather is going to get here and make us pay for the warmth. What does that thought say about Midwestern thought processes?

Also, we had Christmas this year, but it's still in a bit of a holding pattern. Dad went into the hospital the day I got off of school for break and as I type he's still there. It's been frustrating. One step forward, three back. I have to admit it's a little hard to focus on sending my character to hell when someone you know is going through hell. Doesn't really get the creative juices flowing.

So, while it's been a strange Christmas break, it's been a rather relaxing one as well. I'd graded all my papers before I left school. We were also told that we wouldn't be able to access our gradebook program over break, they would be doing maintenance. Shucks! Can't tell you how depressed that made me. I also have been stalled on my story so the characters have been standing at a discreet distance just waiting for me to be over my personal crisis to get back to them.

Here's hoping the crisis is passing and I can get back to the usual craziness that is my life. I don't think you really appreciate what you have until it gets thrown out of whack. Never thought I'd be looking forward to returning to my usual wackiness, but all I have to say is, "Bring it on!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adventure in Self-Publishing

And Promo is the Name of the Game

Girls with Spunk