The Best Books Ever!

One of the best feelings in the world is when a kid runs into my classroom waving a book in his or her hand, shouting,  "You've got to read this!" I've gotten some of the best book recommendations from my students. In fact, during the school year I pretty much read what they're reading.

One of my kids this year gave me an assignment. I was supposed to read "The Percy Jackson" series by Christmas so we could talk about it. I finished them by Halloween. Great reads! And with The Lost Olympian, I'm as bummed as the kids are that I have to wait until next Fall to find out what happens next. Another series the kids turned me on to was "The Hunger Games" trilogy. I have since passed them on to five of my colleagues and the middle school library can't keep them on the shelves. I remember finally reading "The Twilight" series to see why my girls were going goony. I also reveled in the "Cirque" books with my boys and am currently enjoying the "39 Clues." Though they boys did all argue over who got the cards from the class set. They're currently in my Reading Incentive Prize Box.

Whenever one of my students stumps around the library, head hanging, muttering that he (usually it's a he) can't find anything to read, I simply tell them--it isn't that they don't like to read, they just haven't found the right book. I love seeing those kids' faces light up the first time they're sucked into a world.

That's what I aspire to. I aspire to be the kind of writer that pulls you in and doesn't let go. I think we all do. Honestly, even way back, I never wanted to be a JK Rowling--with the next big thing. I always aspired to be a solid mid-list writer. The kind of writer who, when someone sees a new book by you, they think I have to get that! The writer who doesn't disappoint, who can tell a solid story that makes a reader lean back and sigh wishing there were more because they wanted to stay longer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adventure in Self-Publishing

And Promo is the Name of the Game

Girls with Spunk