A New Year and New Challenges

We're officially off! I received the full edited manuscript on Christmas Eve. An early present, as it were. Not as many red marks as I'd feared, so I can relax a little bit, but there's still plenty of work to do. I must say though, that I owe my editor a debt of gratitude. She's making me a much better writer. I've found myself taking all the advice she's been giving me and applying it to my work in progress. I definitely don't want an editor to work this hard on the next one.

Wow, that felt a little egotistical to me. The next one. I'm not even half way through the process on the first one and I'm already talking about a "next one." It felt good, though. I have my marching orders now. I read through the edits. I'm not completely certain about getting rid of one character's back story completely. First of all, I really like him. Secondly, I think that it really adds something to the story. So, I'm going to try and slip some of it into the story in other places.

I know that this is only the first edit where we go through and fix all the most obvious errors. The next one is where we comb through it with all attention to detail. I've been doublechecking for any continuity errors already. I found a couple--one character's eyes changed colors once. Fixed that!

Ah well, I should get to work. I've let the edits simmer in the back of my head for the last couple of days and I think I'm ready to get to work. I'll let you know when I'm ready to beat my head against the brick wall. I think my biggest challenge is going to be not to rush. I'm excited. I can almost see it in print and it might make me rush. I need to take my time.
Lots of things to be grateful for this year. I'm really looking forward to seeing what 2011 brings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adventure in Self-Publishing

And Promo is the Name of the Game

I Must Be Missing Something